Monday, March 27, 2006

24 hours

Who knew your life can change so much in 24 hours. Remember how I was just bragging about him being the most wonderful boy? After retreating to the bedroom last night I witnessed my first glimpse of devil boy. He would not stop eating and crying. Kevin and I had our own workout - patience. These are the times he fed:
  • 10:15-11:00p
  • 11:15-11:30p
  • 12:45-1:00
  • 1:12-1:40
  • 2:00-2:30
  • 3:10-3:45
  • 6:32-?? (I fell asleep)
  • 9:15-9:35
  • 9:45-10:05
Twice I spotaneously burst into tears. Just sitting there, staring at my precious son attached to my breast, doing the most natural thing in the world and I'm bawling. Yes, postpartum hormones are just as ridiculous as the ones I experienced while pregnant. My hopes to bouncing back to the old Jori were short lived. I talked to my parents in Minnesota last night and learned some sad news about my uncle. Before they even said anything I started sniffling. Kevin came and sat next to me, put his arm around me and let me cry. Then I told them I wished they were here to see JT and that made me cry even more. We are flying home to MN in November but I really wish they had the ability to see him now and watch him grow. Anyhoo, I love you Mom and Dad. I can't wait to see you on Turkey Day. : ) Since JT was released from the hospital with a high bilirubin level (jaundice stuff) so we had to meet with our pediatrician today. We had planned on making the local lady our choice but find out the office is closed on Mondays. Say what? Okay, no good. Time for a pedi hunt at Noon! Thankfully I remembered a name of someone that the ob's office recommended. I called and at first they were full but after being on hold a few minutes, came back to say if we could be there at 1:15 we'd be seen. Hooray! First trip out of the house. Wallet? Check. Keys? Check. Diaper bag? Check. Okay...let's go. OH! The baby...get him, would you? We got to the pedi's office late at 1:25 (typical Jor move) but in retrospect I'd like to call it a test. And they passed. We were still called in at 1:30! The nurses were great, the doc was awesome and they said JT was "one of those beautiful babies that you can't tell is a girl or a boy because of the head full of golden hair". I think that was a compliment? : ) JT was still a bit yellow so they drew blood. I give myself credit for not freaking out about him crying after getting his heel stuck. They called this afternoon to let us know that it's still high so we need to come back in to the office again tomorrow. 2 trips in 2 days. I was looking forward to some rest! The other good news is he's still packing on the pounds (ounces). He was born 7/6, dropped to 6/8, discharged at 6/12 and today he was 7 even. Winston is taking to JT even better than we hoped. My poodle is quite the mama's boy so we were wondering how he'd react to the baby. Anytime JT cries, Winston is racing to him to sniff and see what''s going on. If I'm not in the same room, he runs to me, jumps on me to let me know (like the scream didn't give me a clue) and then runs back to JT. Okay...it's been a little over an hour and he's still sleeping on Nana. Time to grab my water and prepare for the next round of nursing. I have a great feeling tonight is going to go much smoother. Kevin and I have been napping in shifts when we can so we are well rested for the wee hours of the morning. I'll let you know how it went tomorrow.

No comments: