Thursday, May 4, 2006

Back to basics

Today I was supposed to mail out a package of formula to my friend Lora, who I met through the online site I am a part of. The "April Moms" or "your ladies" as Kevin calls them have spent the last 9(10) months getting to know each other, asking questions to each other we were to scared to ask our doctors and creating a positive pregnancy experience. I started following Lora's blog early on and have been hooked by her writing and humor. I only wish that we lived in the same city because I think our family and hers would get along swimmingly. Anyhoo, she mentioned in a blog about using a particular type of formula and I figure she may as well not pay for it. I've got oodles of free formula that I got as a result of signing up for every dang website out there for baby stuff. I'm not using it so I thought I'd contribute to her stock. Well, the package is still sitting on top of the entertainment center. At least progress was made as I got the box sealed and the envelope with her address and mine - but it's not attached to the box yet. I was going to go to the little post office here and get it sent out before my doctor appointment. It was going to be my little jaunt out of the house sans baby since I was going to be bringing him to the doc visit later in the afternoon. I don't recall much what happened but I could safely say it probably had to do with JT's eating pattern. I didn't leave the house until it was time to leave for the doctor. I left a few minutes early this time and it's a good thing I did because I ran into several accidents and general Austin traffic in the late afternoon. My visit with Dr. B was rushed but great. I spent several minutes with the nurse who taught our prenatal class. She commented on how she could see Kevin and me in JT. I think that's great because I can't tell anything, I can't see beyond those cheeks. She asked how the emotions were and I confessed that every other day I was having crying fits. I explained how I could tell when they were coming on and now Kevin is getting good at it too. The feeling of being overwhelmed is temporary and I can usually count on these "spells" lasting a couple of hours at the most. I guess I worry about not being able to identify it and dismissing the emotions only to end up in bad shape months down the line. I would like to think I'm emotionally competant enough to realize when my feelings are not what I normally would feel. The nurse agreed with me that I'm still in the normal range and if I feel an increase to call and talk to them. My weight loss has tapered and I know that's due to not doing any exercise other than rolling out of bed and nursing. I've been waiting for the go ahead from the doc. Dr. B came in to check me out and commented on the incision and that it was healed nicely. She said I had great skin. I'm not sure how a flabby tummy equates to good skin and decent healing scars but whatever. She's got the medical degree, not me. I'm fine to resume all activities except my return to work and that will come at the beginning of June. After a hug, Dr. B rushed out of the office for a lady in labor next door so the nurses took a picture of me and JT to hang on the Brag Wall. He was sleeping so it's really a picture of me hunched over the car seat, you can barely see Monkey Boy. It's going to be strange not going to her office so often. I don't go back until August and the lady at the scheduling desk reminded me that I'm always welcome to drop by. She said they get a bit attached to us and the visits stopping are just as weird to them. They first saw us when came in for the blood test to confirm our pregnancies. We needed undeniable proof other than the home pregnancy test. I imagine they know the faces well of women that come in for that first visit. Perhaps some with fear on their faces, others with anticipation for the news. Then there are the visits for the ultrasounds and they watch us walk out of the office clutching our video tape. They share the excitement with us in their own way and I can see it in their smile how much they enjoy the interaction with us. I'll miss them; sad but true. I'll mail it tomorrow.

1 comment:

Lora said...

i'm famous! i am struggling to get to the post office too, i have a pile of stuff that should not be in my house any more just waiting to be taken care of. this mom stuff is hard! especially when we are dealing with our little cluster feeders!
as horrible as i felt/feel about supplementing the baby with formula i have to say that it sure helps me get things done! that crap puts little ones right out, and they don't even think of eating for a couple hours.
glad your appt went well, i cried when i left mine- i sure do miss the constant medical attention!