Sunday, May 21, 2006

The one where Mom doesn't eat (again)

Yesterday was a busy busy day for the entire family. I was up at 6 doing my thing with JT. He ate, played and generally had a good time. When nine o'clock rolled around he ate again and settled back into a nap. At that point I went to get Kevin up so I could go return the shirts and find something for the wedding. I was counting on JT to keep his 3 hour schedule. I told Kevin that JT should be fine until noon. And he was. I was on my way back when he called to see if he needed to warm a bottle and told him to hold him off until I get there. Made it home, got the little Monkey fed and then it was off to HEB for groceries. We were back by a little after 3 where I promptly sat down for another feed and to pump for the evening. 4 o'clock now and it was time to shower and get ready for Matt and Brit's wedding. We needed to leave the house at five in order to pick up our friend at 5:30, get JT to Angela's up North and be downtown by 7. Of course when you're in a hurry, the boy needs more to eat so I sat on the couch with him attached and did my makeup. (I'm getting good at this mom thing.) I was ready at 5 and that's when Kevin jumped in the shower. Tsk, tsk! At 5:20 I called our friend to let him know our ETA and finished getting the diaper bag ready for his first babysitting adventure. I had 4 ounces of ready to go milk and 2 frozen 2 ounce bags. Surely that will be enough since he shouldn't eat until around 9. On the way to Angela's house he starts screeching. Without any other choice, I pull out the bottle of milk, still cold, and screw on a bottle cap. (He's been finicky lately so I included 3 different nipples). We give the Gerber a go and what do you know? He's drinking it, despite it not coming from me and it being cold. I guess when you're hungry enough you'll eat anything. After about 5 minutes of eating he fell asleep so I was hopeful he'd been good for Angela (meaning sleep for Angela). He was wide awake when we made it in her place and coo'd at her. Good! Kevin put on his dress shirt and we were off to the wedding. We were cutting it close and I said, "I sure hope the bride is running late". We find the parking garage, pay our 7 dollars and zip in to the church. We walked by a room and heard the babble of several women and, "are you satisfied with your hair?" and I knew we were safe and they hadn't started yet. We weren't seated for more than 5 minutes and the wedding started. It was beautiful and intimate, about 35 people in all, even including the minister and his wife. It was a treat to be included in the family only event. We brought along our camcorder and practiced taping with the wedding. We did okay but we're definitely amatuers. A couple shots of pants, some erratic shaking and super fast zooming but give us time, we'll be shooting decent film before you know it. After the ceremony we headed to the Cafe at the Four Seasons for the reception. This was my first experience with a 5-star restaurant and it did not disappoint in spite of my disdain for most 'fancy foods'. I had a good time talking with a precocious 11 year old named Brodie who was seated next to me. He had the shared duty of ring bearer along with his younger brother. He was gushing about his day and telling me how tired he was, how school was ending on Wednesday and he would miss his girlfriend. Turns out they're attending different middle schools next year...what do you say to an 11 year old about that? Hmm... It was around nine o'clock when the entire party was seated and the staff starting serving drinks and brought out the bread that was to die for! 9:35. The phone rings. It's Angela. JT has been fed, burped, changed, fed and burped again, walked, bounced, pacifier'd, fed and still nothing was good. And he was out of food. That kid sucked down 8 ounces of milk since we dropped him off at 6:30. What was she to do? Did I have any suggestions? Duh....I turned real stupid. I don't know what to do? I'd call her back. Go outside? Burp him again? I give up. I swallowed the rest of my water and got my purse together. I went to tell the bride and her mother that I needed to leave to feed my baby. They instructed the wait staff to hold and serve my dinner last and would look forward to my return. As I walked up to Angela's door I didn't hear a peep. I knew it. I knew he'd cried himself out before she even answered the door. Sure enough, he was slumped in her arms looking every bit the angel that he is when he's asleep. 5 minutes ago he wore himself out. But I knew I couldn't leave because he'd just wake up crying again all hungry. He woke up and we started to feed at 10. Kevin called at 10:20 to check and see how Angela was. I told him she still had all her hair and nothing was broken. The party had just finished course one and I should come back. It looked like I was going to be able to get out in 10 minutes. I tried. It didn't work. I called him back at 11 and told him to box up my stuff if they could and I would just pick them up when they were done since Monkey was not going to settle down anytime soon. They finished the main course and were doing toasts so I packed us up and headed back to the party with the kid in town. I apologized profusely to Angela and her sister. She apologized profusely to me and said that JT would surely have a good nights sleep. I told her this will end up being the night he sleeps through the night... By the time I got back most of the group had left and Kevin showed the kid off to anyone who was interested. (Brit, her mom, all the ladies and a few men). Of course JT had to pass a ridiculous amount of gas and the next thing you know, Kevin had a handful of poo. *snicker* Nice. We're standing in a 5 star restaurant with poo on us and this close to using a 510 thread count napkin to wipe ourselves off. Off to the bathroom! "Excuse us! Coming through... Please move, trust me...I need through here. Thank you!" 12:15 now and we're off to take Chris and ourselves home. It was a long long day. We were in the house and out of our fancy clothes by 1:30. I was waiting for JT to wake up and eat but he stayed asleep in the car seat. That was nice. I warmed up my steak and settled myself on the couch in my robe and savored each bite. It had to have been the best steak I've ever eated. After that, I couldn't keep my eyes open so I went to bed and Kevin would bring JT in when he was ready. Wouldn't you know it, JT didn't wake up until 5:15 this morning. And he wasn't a screaming maniac - just a gentle whimper to tell me to get him out of his carseat and into bed so he could eat. My heart started to melt again as I put him next to me. It's any wonder that I have a heart left with all the melting going on here. He snuggled into me and held onto me with his little hands all the while making cute little sounds of contentment. He ate for about 15 minutes and fell asleep. We didn't wake up until 8 and now he's fed again, played with, photographed again and sleeping in his swing. I'm still trying to come up with my birthday wish list. I'm running out of time since we'll be back in Austin today and it's now or never for shopping. So far on my list? A bath pillow. I need help.

No comments: