Friday, May 12, 2006

The shopping trip

It's done. First stop was Sam's where 91 bucks bought me a giant cardboard box of 216 Pampers, another not so big cardboard box of 360 wipes, a plastic wrapped bundle of I don't know how many toilet paper rolls, the biggest Oxyclean I've ever seen and 150 garbage bags. I then had a 3 way cart accident with two other families trying to get out the door and past the receipt checker. We exchanged insurance information and went our merry way, eyeing each others cart to see what surplus bargains we missed today. Then it was off to Kohls. They had their famous "2 days Only!" sale. Which equates to, it's another sale day here at Kohl's, just a little more media to remind you about it. And that's fine. I can usually find a thing or two there and walk away happy. Today looked to be just as promising. I strolled in with the other Night Owl shoppers. That's what they labeled us 3-11pm shoppers. People were walking around with their eyes open wide, looking for the 90% off rack, most of which held sweaters. I have to admit one did catch my eye and after walking around the rack for the 4th time I decided summer was not the time to be buying a sweater. I went straight to the men's area and picked up Kevin's pants. It's a good thing I got there when I did because I picked up the last of his size. His shopping part done (hehehe) I walked over to the shoes and smiled when I saw All Athletic Shoes on Sale! I called to tell him the good news but decided he's not a kid and he can pick out his own shoes. I was too busy, anyway, ooh'ing and ahh'ing over the 64 dollar shoes that were on sale for 29 bucks. Tomorrow we may make a return trip. Now it's my turn. And I kept repeating the rules to myself. Then I would mumble under my breath, "It's the fit, not the size." Stacy and Clinton would be so pleased with me and my rules remembrance. Not so much my attitude. My first trip to the dressing room didn't please me. I knew I wasn't going to be wearing a size 8 so I picked my sizes carefully. I pulled on a pair of jeans and frowned at myself in the mirror. Too snug on the thighs and the back pockets weren't right either. I tried on a pair of dressy pants, again, too snug on the thighs but a size up would probably be okay. A couple of tops made it over my head and struggled against my bosom. TOO FUNNY! I've never had an issue with getting shirts on over the girls. I used to fit in shirts in size XS and in the Petite section. Bye bye! All the items from the first trip were hung up on the "Eww" rack outside the dressing room. Trip two was with a couple more shirts, two different pairs of jeans and a higher size of the dress pants. I tried on the shirts first and again, too snug on the boobs so those were out. Again. Then I tried on the dress pants and groaned audibly when they, too, were too tight. I said a quick prayer that I grabbed the wrong size. Prayers do come true, I did! The first pair of jeans were a little too juvenile looking (can't explain it, but Stacy would agree with me) and while they fit alright, they just weren't me. I'm a mom now, for pete's sake! The second pair fit. I hate to admit it but they did. If I put the size out of my mind I felt and looked alright. Truth be told, I found myself standing on my tiptoes to see what the lines would look like with a pair of boots under them - not my Doc Martens, but real girl boots, with heels. *gasp* Needless to say, one adventure at a time. That may have to wait for another time when a girlfriend goes with me to show me how to do that sort of thing. (shivering) So I purchased the dress pants (in the right size, but not tried on), the jeans (without the girlie boots), one shirt in a color I've never ever considered before (the next size up) and a shirt that I saw while standing in line at the check-out; I just grabbed the largest one I found. And Kevin's pants. After I got home and had dinner with my husband and his mom, I went and got all the purchases out of the car. I took the clothes to my room and did what I've always done - tried them on again. Does anyone else do that or is it just me? I held my breath as I tried on the dress pants and smiled when I saw they fit perfectly. And the lines were good, too! I left the jeans alone since I stood in the dressing room for so long staring at myself. I tried on the shirt I grabbed at the checkout line and panicked when yet again I couldn't get the shirt on easily. To my dismay, I discovered it's a shirt meant to be worn without a bra. No wonder! But it is a little tight in places that are slimming down already. It will soon look fabulous on me. The bright shirt is going back. The next size up is cut like it's 2 sizes up and it looks ridiculous on me. Wondering if it, too, required no bra, I tried it on that way and only looked worse. But I did get a good laugh out of myself. So my first shopping excursion is done and I didn't cry. I did get a fantastic headache but I didn't let the skinny people and single digit sized clothing get the best of me. Mark my words, I'll be back. I just have better things to worry about right now then the size of my pants.

1 comment:

Lora said...

the tiny sizes await your return, and they are patient!
three things
1) if my pants are bigger than an 8 i simply cut out the tag. it does wonders for the psyche.
2) i bought myself a pair of grown up shoes- i call them my "real lady shoes" they are cute, but not cutesy. or flip flops. scary
3) i don't know if i will ever be able to go braless again. they are looking a bit long and low these days. boo.