Wednesday, August 30, 2006
Udderly ridiculous
An engorged breast is nothing to laugh at.
You’ve probably heard women saying, “my boobs are going to explode” or perhaps she’s looked at you with tears in her eyes saying she had to go pump NOW. Trust her. She isn’t kidding and you better get out of her way. When your boobs are full, they are swollen, lumpy as if they’re filled with rocks and disfigured to a point. Welcome to the beauty of breastfeeding!
Needless to say, this afternoon my boobs were exploding and I had tears in my eyes because I couldn’t get to the mommy’s room fast enough. I was in such a hurry that when I finally got in there, I realized I left my pump at my desk. Back to my desk I went, ignoring a few people who were commenting on how cute JT was earlier and if I ever needed a sitter to call! Sorry people I ignored - it wasn't you.
But yours truly went super ghetto today. In the confusion of leaving the house with Kevin and JT, I didn’t appropriately pack my supplies for pumping. I had everything I needed - the tubes, the breast shields, the valves, the plug that goes to the wall and….nope, that’s it. I opened the flap of the bag to find an empty spot where there should have been 6 bottles. Instead, and luckily, I had two of the smaller ones that only hold about 2 ½ ounces each. And since the kid was with me for the morning and didn’t nurse too long when we arrived at work, I sent him off and didn’t get time to pump until four o’clock. For most, a full boob holds much more than 2.5 ounces of milk and I was topping of these tiny bottles in less than 5 minutes. I looked around the room, hoping for a small miracle. Praying that I dropped a bottle at some point and would find it under the chair. No bottles but there were a few crickets.
In true desperation, I quickly drank my 16 ounce glass of water and proceeded to pump and dump the milk into the Styrofoam cup and stick it in the fridge. It's going to be a tricky ride home with no lid.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
And my husband thought I was funny when I came home with a Ziplock bag (gallon size) with 12oz's breastmilk in it, the day I forgot my bottles...
Ahhh, the memories. I nursed Zane for 13 1/2 months and don't regret a single day of it. Even the ones where I was so engorged a simple brush against a pillow would bring me to tears. Or the days when I would leak through my shirt, in public. Or the time he bit me hard enough to put that breast out of commission for a week. Kudos to you for sticking with it. I can only imagine that nursing for working Moms, just complicates things even further.
Post a Comment