Tuesday, March 6, 2007

My View

I noticed her as she stood in line at the checkout. She with her gorgeous brown curls, slim body and two adorable children. The little girl, about 5 and who had hair just like her mom, hopped herself out of the basket and proceeded to sit on the end of the checkout lane. The little boy, who was blonde, sat in the cart and waved to the woman in front of them. They came towards me in Starbucks and I noticed how similar the girls were. Both mom and daughter were wearing matching outfits. Head to toe they were identical. Each wore stacked flip flops and black gauchos. Each had a slim fitting tunic although the moms had sparkle running from side to side while the little girls sparkle ran from top to bottom. I wondered for a moment if the mom dressed her like that on purpose or the daughter wanted to be like mom for their shopping trip. Thankfully, I laughed to myself, she didn't have the boy in a similar outfit. After mom had ordered her coffee and sent the little girl around the corner with the credit card for popcorn. She backed her cart out from in front of the starbucks counter but she was still in the way. In the meantime, a woman of less striking features pushed her cart behind the good looking one and waited. Patiently. From her position I'm sure it looked like she was waiting in line, too. After a few minutes she began to look irked and kept inching her cart forward, I guess to attract the attention of the Looker to move out of the way. It didn't work. I turned from woman to woman to see who would budge first and had I put money on it I would be richer. The Looker stood in the middle of the aisle until the coffee guy moved from behind the counter and brought the coffee TO her. Only then did she back herself out of the way. Plain Jane didn't say anything but she rolled her eyes into the back of her head and gave a disgusted sigh that I didn't have to hear to know it was done. Do looks matter? In Starbucks they do.

1 comment:

Rinny said...

Well you gotta have fancy people to drink the fancy coffee, dontcha?

Katharine from Dallas----the land of the beautiful people