Thursday, March 15, 2007

Okay, the gory details

Let's start with our morning. We all slept in and so I got the coffee going around 8:30 and by nine was headed out to get the car seat in Kevin's car since he was still in pain with his back. Try as I might I couldn't get the stupid LATCH hooks undone. I just don't have the strength in my fingers and hands. And little did I know that we even had those hooks in the Camry. Who knew?! Kevin, I guess. Kevin tries his hand at removing the old seat, manages to do so while I wheel down the garbage can while holding JT. 25 pounds in the arm and a full garbage can down the driveway is not an easy task. We wound up with muddy feet and pants but we did it. Kevin leaves for his appointment while JT and I pitter patter around the house. We had breakfast, did the dishes, and some other things. About 10 I went into the bedroom to get something. JT was ten steps behind me yelling the only word he seems to know right now - "bup!" I grabbed a pair of socks out of the basket and heard a garden hose running but I couldn't understand why Kevin would have turned on the hose. Or why it would be coming from the bathroom in our bedroom. I took a step in the bathroom and my foot went under a couple inches of water. I yelled the S word as I slid towards the toilet and sink and spun myself around. One second too late as JT yelled, "BUP!" while he stepped in the water logged carpet at the edge of the bathroom. A loud BUP and squishy floor scares a nearly one year old boy and he went head first into the water. In slow motion it looked a little like a slip 'n slide. I laughed first, because that's what I do, and then screamed as I yanked him up from the water. I tossed him in his playpen and stared in amazement as only his pants legs got wet and both elbows. I turned off the water from the wall and watched the pretty waterfall cascading over the rim of the toilet. I stood there wanting to call Kevin but figured that wouldn't solve anything. All I was doing was adding to the water damage to the exposed drywall and letting the dirty laundry soak up some of the mess. See, I knew there was a reason I didn't start any laundry the other day! But now my tub is filled with shirts, slippers, socks, about 12 towels, the plunger, bowl brush and mop. Wet towels are not easy to wring out, especially after hauling a 25 pound baby and a full garbage can down a driveway. So I resorted to soaking the towels and then sort of flinging them into the tub. I just started grabbing anything made with cloth and throwing it on the floor to soak it up. Just the other day I was contemplating the fact that I haven't had a period since June 2005 but yet I have 2 full boxes of tampons sitting under the sink. You wouldn't believe how much liquid those little puppies can soak up. And THEN!! We set out to meet Kevin in town and we're driving, driving, driving and singing along to the radio. Coming around a corner what should meet my start but the beady eyes of a coyote on the side of the road. Dead. I think. I swear he moved but that might have just been me doing a double take. I knew there's been coyotes out here and we hear them on a rare occasion. More often than not it's all the dogs going crazy that alerts us that there's one around. But on my way home tonight I had my phone ready to stop and take a picture. I was all set to do that until I realized I'd have to find a safe spot on the curvy part of the road to pull over and walk over to it. That's kinda creepy. And besides, it looked like it was hit again because he was pushed off the road more. No picture. Sorry. But if you need a refresher on what a coyote looks like, click here. This is the mirror image of what I saw this morning. The Bluebonnets? They're in bloom. They're pretty. And that's all I've got to say about that.

1 comment:

Rinny said...

Well, I am glad to know that in a flood we can latch tampons together! Tell my boyfriend Bup!