Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Act I, Scene 1

I got home at 7:33. Hemmed and hawed with Kevin over what to make for dinner. The kitchen was clean (thank you baby!) so neither of us wanted to ruin that mood. Hunger prevailed so I made quesadillas. Popped JT in his highchair while I cooked and watched him eat a hunk of pear. He made some adorable funny faces; I'll post the pictures tomorrow. We sat down to eat at 8:15 and watched him work the spoon upside down and try to get the yogurt in his mouth. More ended up on his arms and tray then his mouth but he loves holding the utensils now. He's got the idea down of how it works but still working on directional challenges and mean old Mr. Gravity always taking his food. I looked up at it was 8:42. After getting him cleaned up it was time for a diaper change and jammies. He and I held a very important discussion on diapers, Velcro and why it's important to leave on the diaper. I reminded him of two nights prior when he peed on the living room floor. He raised his eyebrows and I raised mine right back. Yeah...remember? 8:55 and I was settling in on the floor to read some books and get him settled for bedtime. He knows the drill and wasn't waiting for me tonight. Down the hallway, saying what I'd like to think as nigh-night, he was off to kiss his daddy goodnight. Dad: Bedtime already, Boog? Mom: *sigh* Already.. JT: (leaning in for his kiss) mumble mumble mumble As I walked out the door, JT rested his face on my cheek with the most somber look. Mom: I'm not ready for him to go to bed. Dad: If he's not sleepy yet, don't force him. Mom: Oh, he's sleepy. And ready. I'm not. I don't want to let him go yet. I kissed him non-stop from the office into his room, sat down in the glider with him and he still had his face pushed to me. I love you,I love you, I love you. Night baby. Sleep well. I'll miss you. I put him down into his crib and he just looked at me like I was crazy. He knelt down and grabbed his Clappy Moose and Monkey. He made one pathetic attempt at a cry and was laying down before the door clicked shut. I hate that I only see him for 90 minutes in the morning. I hate that I only see him for 90 minutes at night. And I hate it even more that I don't get to cuddle with him anymore in the middle of the night. I'm jealous of my husband.

2 comments:

Rinny said...

And I think you just spoke the words that every stay at home mom's husband says each and every day. Is unusual hearing it come from a mom. Live for the weekends, my love. And rest assured....there is no possible way that JT thinks that you do anything all day long but love him to pieces.

DNA said...

Somedays I'm jealous of my daycare. It's a very hard balance. Know that you're not alone in it...