Tuesday, December 18, 2007

My car is back after quite the ordeal at the repair shop. It drove fine for 2 miles and then the whole power issue happened again. I'm thankful it never happened with a sudden stop or in the middle of an intersection. In order to keep from killing each time I slowed down I was forced to brake and keep the gas on so the gauge wouldn't dip below 5000 RPM's. It was a flashback to when I drove a standard and had to coordinate my feet. I'm not very coordinated anyway so imagine my frustration. Well, $476 dollars later I have my car back. The next present to my car is another $150 dollars to replace something that I can't recall the name of. That wiped out our Christmas fund. Kevin and I don't need anything and JT is too little to know any better so it's okay, I guess. He's got gifts that both grandparents have sent and I bought him a book a few months back. I'll hit a few after Christmas sales to replenish our missing Christmas goods so next year we can have a full on celebration. All I wanted for Christmas was to spend the week of vacation with Kevin and JT and I know I've got that. I've been feeling really miserable about how things were going for me and my family. I slowed my blogging because I felt like I was doing nothing but delivering bad news. I'm not here to make this out to be a pity party, I'm really not. I was kicked back to reality when I was asked to deliver a card to a co-worker in another department. I stopped by her desk and said, "I was asked to give this to you." and walked away. Moments later I had an email from her professing her joy and tears saying that it was a blessing. She informed me that she is a single mom, was struggling so hired herself out cleaning homes. That was enough to pay the bills but didn't leave anything for her kids for Christmas. Not even a pair of socks. I don't know who organized this but they presented her something so she could give a Christmas to her kids. A few minutes before taking the card to her I had said to myself half jokingly, I wish I was her, because she was getting something that was a surprise. But almost as soon as I said it I took it back because Lord only knows what her situation is and while losing a house, savings, pet, Christmas items may be pretty crappy in my world? - at least I have Kevin and JT and a home (again) and a few dollars in the bank and food in the house and parents and in-laws and family and friends both near and far. After re-reading those emails from that woman I had to stop and thank God for what I do have. I may not have a lot but I have the important things that really do count. I'm in tears now but I want to say thank you to those who are in my world and share in my joys and my losses. I couldn't have made it without you. Merry Christmas.

4 comments:

Rinny said...

Okay lady! I am in tears now. I hop e that you know how much you and your family mean to us. Not only to us, but to my mom and dad too. And my brother. We couldn't ask for better friends. Actually.....family. Talking to mom tonight I told her that you were the sister I never had. I love you, and thank you for everything that you have ever done for me and for everyone else that loves you! And Kevin. And JT. And Gato. And Herbert. And Winston. And on and on and on and on.

Team Manager said...

Merry Christmas to you, too. I hope the week at home with your boys heals your heart. I'm sure you will create memories to last a lifetime, not only for yourself but for JT.

Lora said...

Sounds dumb, but the best gifts can't be opened. Here's to making new traditions like stories and coloring around the tree and listening for reindeer.

DNA said...

JT has the best mom in the world and I see the happiest boy when I look at his pictures. And it doesn't sound dumb: the best gifts can't be opened. Merry Christmas, friend!