JT woke up this morning and just like we talked about last night we headed to the bathroom to throw away his diaper and pee. We got to the bathroom as planned but he screamed and carried on like I was ripping out his toenails with pliers. That wasn't planned. After about 2 minutes (of me not losing my cool) he finally got the diaper ripped from his loins.
"Is that the last one?" he asked sadly.
I told him, "Yep, that's the last diaper. We only have diapers that work at night now."
I'm having a hard time lying about the use of diapers between day and night but I figure at this stage of the game it's going to be okay. The end justifies the means, right? Right.
I reminded him that we need to pee in the morning when we get up from holding it all night when we're sleeping in our bed. Now is the time to let it out. "And remember, you get 2 m&m's if you pee, 5 if you poop." He wasn't as excited as I thought he might be so I just moved on and started reading his book to him.
About 2 minutes later he tapped me on the arm. I stopped reading, looked up at him and he pointed down between his legs. I asked him if he peed? Still with no smile, he nodded yes and stood up. I about fell off the toilet with excitement and gave him adequate amounts of praise and high fives and talk about m&m's and how Jake and Evan and Abigail and Claire and Brandon were going to be so proud of him and now they ALL wear underwear and then the birds flew to the window and started chirping a song for JT.
Just a few minutes ago I took JT back in to try again. Nothing happened so we were getting ready to pack it up and try later. As I was cleaning to potty I realized I could just snap the ring and squishy seat onto the big toilet. DING! I put it on and moments later JT is squawking about how he needs to pee up there. I helped him with his pants and climbing up there and a minute later he's going.
More praise. More high fives. Two more m&m's.
After he consumed the candy he came back in the bathroom to tell me he needed to pee again. This time he said it with a smile. "Are you saying you have to pee because you have to pee or because you want more m&m's?" I don't think I need to tell you the answer....
It's only 2 hours into this but I'm hopeful and more certain that this is the week. I'm trading in my purse for a messenger bag again so I can start carrying Ziplocks and extra pants and underwear. I guess I should throw socks in there, too, huh?
Tuesday, November 10, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
definitely socks. and some thick skin.
I'm just about over that traumatizing experience.
there is a reason no one talks about it. It's horrible.
When you're up to your knees in it (and I really hope you never are) remember that all us moms have been there before you.
That is all.
Post a Comment