Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Confused

JT is on the cusp of car seat madness.  Oh wait, that's me!

He's got the one car seat that he needs to stay in with the 5-point harness until he's 43 inches tall. He's about 38.5.  Once he hits 40 pounds and 43 inches it's time to turn it into the booster seat.  Still safe - check!

The other car seat is a Roundabout and color me stupid but I can't figure it out.  Looking at him sitting in the thing, the top of his head is over the top.  That's bad right?  But wait, the instructions say 40" and he's not.  So he's okay, right?  But why is is head sticking over the top?  And he's got to get out of it when he hits 40 pounds.  We're still at 35-36 pounds, depending on the amount of raisins he's eaten and if he's pooped that day, so we're okay on that front. Right? Still safe - who knows? Do you?

You'd think I'd have this stuff figured out by now!
----------------------------

So, my desire to have JT 5-point harnessed until he's 18 isn't going to fly.  Needless to say, all the car seat manufacturers pretty much say once your kiddo has hit 40 pounds, take off the harness, take off the base and start strapping him in with the seat belt.  They should really just say, "cut the apron strings mom!"

I asked JT to give his opinion on a few and of course he picks the one with no back.  The ones that look the most like a normal seat, I guess. 

*sigh*

He's growing up, isn't he? 

2 comments:

Lora said...

Jake is 5 pointed still, and will be until winter when he has to put on his coat. There is no way he'll fit with a coat again this year. Last year was cutting it close.

I'm not comfortable with the booster seat, but I'm a head case, so who am I to say what's right or wrong?

It's such a pain in the ass, and every time I try to do some research, all I come up with is horror stories showing montages of dead kids who would still be alive if they just stayed the heck in a 5 point harness.

Lovely.

Karen said...

Claire will be in 5-point for the foreseeable future. There are 2 on the market that will serve her until basically high school. (one of which is reasonably priced.)

I saw saw the same montages that Lora watched. Bad, bad internets.