What do all of these things have in common? JT.
T-Ball
We have signed JT up for t-ball through the YMCA. We aren't members any longer so we paid $65 instead of $25. His little season starts on April 12th and ends May 5th, playing from 6-8 each Tuesday and Thursday. The first 45 minutes of each night is slated for practice, and then the game runs for the last hour, 5 innings. Kevin and JT just left to go buy a real stand, a glove and a bat. We're going to wait to buy the cleats until closer to game day to avoid him growing out of them before he even starts.
JT loved helping me fill out the calendar and putting practice and game stickers on each of the days he'll be playing. True to form, yours truly screwed up one of the days and JT pointed it out quickly. "Mom, you put my last game on Friday. It's not a Friday. I play t-ball on Tuesday's and Thursday's. Can you fix it?"
Nipples
On Tuesday, JT and I were out in the backyard playing. All of a sudden he stopped and pointed towards me. I looked behind me and didn't see anything. I asked him what he was pointing at. "You. Look! Behind you."
JT: Mom, there's something behind you! Look!
Me looking slowly at nothing
JT: It's on your neck.
I ran over towards him, frantically brushing my hair and neck.
Me: What! Is it a bug? What is it? Get it off!
JT: Never mind. It's just your nipple.
Me: Kid, it's called a mole...
JT: Oh yeah. Whatever..
Zyrtec
JT has inherited our sensitivity to allergies. Just your run of the mill runny nose, itchy eyes, sneezing. It was time to start dosing him again. I bought the CVS version of Children's Zyrtec. I had recalled someone's post about her son using it and having a bad reaction. I couldn't remember what it was specifically and went ahead with the purchase anyway. We've been giving it to him for a couple of weeks and with it he turned into the boy from hell. His manners fell to the wayside and so did the sweet nature kid we once had.Bad attitude, mouthy, hyperactive, mean-spirited, aggressive, loud, obnoxious and bossy. More startling has been his squeaking that he started a few days ago. Almost like a nervous tic, he would make a high pitch squeak. I asked him about it last night and he said he doesn't know why he does it. I've asked him to stop when he would do it and he said he can't. I tried asking him how he felt when he did the noise. "I don't know." Then I asked him how he felt when I asked him to NOT make the noise. "Different, I would say. Just different. I try not to do it but I can't help it." Then I watched him lay down on the couch and hold his hands over his mouth to try not to make the noise. My heart broke and I went to the computer and looked up effects from Children's Zyrtec . I was stunned by what I read.
I'm taking it back to CVS for a refund and letting him have a runny nose until I figure out what to try next. Any ideas, parents?
Commercials
JT is the very best consumer ever. If he had money to consume. I woke up the other morning and JT was so excited. "You should buy because you could get two if you buy now and it keeps food and drinks cold for hours and the yogurt won't go bad and there are Packs for kids to give parents and Packs for parents to give kids and a bunch of different colors. It's a mini fridge keeping milk ice cold! It keeps food fresh which means it's healthy. Do you want to get it mom?" So I used the rewind button on the DVR and sure enough, it does everything he said.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Beth J and I both had nightmarish experiences with Zyrtec. It was AWFUL. Also, I've taken it before with terrible results. I don't know what possessed me to give it to Jake, repeatedly.
We do Benedryl and Claritin and Sudafed for Jake, and although he might get a little rammy with the benedryl (think of regular bedtime hijinks) it works well. Claritin is the fave, and we buy CVS brand.
Post a Comment