Monday, August 22, 2011
First Day of School
Let me start by saying that I didn't cry. I haven't cried at all. My heart feels a little heavy and I think if maybe I had stayed around the school longer than I did I might have. But I didn't.
The house is oddly quiet. The computer is free to use, I'm not listening to Phineas and Ferb, there are no Hot Wheels on the floor. I'm updating my blog without being pestered 12 times in 2 minutes about how I need to share the computer because he was only gone for a minute to go pee.
Sara stayed asleep so it was just JT and I that went this morning. On the way over he asked if I was going to stay with him or leave. I told him I would take him in and ask a few questions and then I would leave. His next question was if I was going to leave his room and stay in the school or leave the school and go home. I told him I'd only stay a few minutes but then I had to leave so he could do what he needs to do in school. He was okay with that. No other comments. We parked across the street and walked in together. Just from the traffic this morning, I see I won't be able to leave just a few minutes before as there is a line forever long to drop your kid off. This morning they went straight to the classroom - normally they'll go to the cafeteria for morning assembly and then the teacher gets her class and goes to the room.
JT remembered which hallway is the one to his room and he lead the way. I had to carry his backpack because it was too heavy with all his supplies that he labeled last night.
Backpack (without wheels) 1
Crayons (Crayola, 24 count) 2
Markers (thick Crayola, classic colors) 1
Facial tissues 2 boxes
Supply box (plastic) 1
Spiral notebook (wide rule) 2
#2 Pencils 1 pkg.
Glue (8oz. bottle) 2
Plastic folders with brads 2
If I had to venture a guess, I'm going to say 2006 was the year of the boy. JT's class only has 7 girls. I put his backpack in his cubby after Mrs. C pulled out his supply box and put his box of crayons in it. I took advantage of our "alone" time and told him to have a great day and dad and I would pick him up after school. I had to practically beg for a kiss, he was so intent on watching everything going on, and then let him go. He went over to his spot at the table and sat down to color. Of course, he didn't recognize his name right away because she wrote Joseph on his tag. Oh well. JT looked so small and so big at the same time. My heart did a flip.
I got his student ID from Mrs. C and headed down to the cafeteria to put some money in his lunch account. I dropped off a couple bucks and asked about how lunches work. Yes, they get to choose from one of 4 main entrees and then there is a literal bar of fruit and vegetables and salad that they get to eat from. She said they also have snacks like ice cream and extras that are additional cost so I immediately asked to have him put on the No Extras list.
I walked back towards the front and decided to make an extra stop and peek in his class to see what was happening. JT will steady coloring and talking to the girl in front of him. I'm not sure what she said to him but I heard him say, "No, I'm not going to stop coloring because that's what I'm supposed to do." He was focused on his work and didn't see me. I stood there for a few more minutes while I watched another girl bawl her eyes out. I asked the guy next to me, "Is that yours in there with the tears?" He said it was his only kid out of 3 that cried on the first day of school. The girl was inconsolable. I wished him luck and headed out. I waved good-bye to the principle and the other teachers in the hallway and shouted, "No crying!! Have a great first day!"
So now Sara is down for her morning nap and I'll wake her in about an hour to go to her 9-month appointment.
Enjoy your day!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment