Tuesday, April 4, 2006

Opening Day

I have a jillion things on my mind and yet I'm unable to get it out. I'm not sure what it is that's causing the blockage. I could venture a guess and say it's due to the fact that JT is back on a wacky feeding schedule. Again, according to the experts, I should be prepared for a feeding frenzy around this time since he'll be going through a growth spurt. Again, the experts are right. I'm now feeding every 1 1/2 hours instead of the blessed 4. Another change to get accustomed to and then as soon as I'm on track he'll change again. My sleep has been pretty non-existent during the nighttime the last couple of nights because JT thinks it's mid afternoon and time to check out his surroundings. I feel bad for him - all he stares at is the white wall and AC unit in the window. How much fun could that be? I get more entertainment out of this observation hour(s) watching his face contort. The way he keeps his eyes closed but raises his eyebrows as if to say, "oh yeah?" and then shakes his head. The furrowed brow while he purses his lips for 15 seconds - which I know by know means there's a steady stream of gas on the way. The open mouth circle that looks like you just pulled a lollipop out of his mouth. This is my 4 a.m. entertainment. I've always been a fan of reality TV - this is about as real as you can get. Yesterday was Opening Day for Major League Baseball. Kevin had hoped at one time that JT would be born on that day. No such luck. But we had our own sort of Opening Day festitivies. We dressed the little fellow in his Rangers outfit and set out for his first official shopping trip. What better place to introduce him to the world but at Walmart. And not the little Lockhart Walmart, we're talking SUPER Walmart in Austin. : ) So the 3 of us set out getting a diaper bag ready, getting the stroller out, getting the extra car seat out and installed in Nana's car. Did you get the pacifier? How about a blanket? Does he need socks? I don't like socks myself so I said no, dad said yes. He ended up wearing socks. The goal was to get started early yesterday so we could be back in time for the game that started at 1:00. We left at 11:45, didn't get home until 2. Let's just say this - I forgot or just plain didn't realize how much the stomach muscles come into play for walking. I was walking the aisles like I hadn't had major surgery 11 days ago. I thought I was doing just fine. I was kind of excited to be out and about. By the time we were scratching the last item off the list I was starting to shut down. I just wanted to be out of the store. Get me home and let me lay down. Of course that couldn't happen because it'd been about 4 hours since he last ate and my boobs were ready to explode. I'd settle for sleep feeding. The second I sat my butt down in the car in the parking lot I realized how much pain I was in. I hadn't been taking the heavy drugs nor the Ibuprofen for the last day or so because I was feeling fine. I didn't need it anymore, I was superhuman. How wrong I am. The drive home about killed me. The smallest bump in the road made me feel like throwing up and brought that stabbing pain back. The road to our house was the worst - I had to compress my purse into my stomach to hold it in place to absorb some of the jiggling. Kevin helped me out of the car and I walked in to the house hunched over like a little old woman with osteoporosis. I had time to pee and by the time I made it back to the front room JT was wailing for his food. I sat there on the couch numb with tears rolling down my face. I hurt. I was tired. I was emotional. The funk has stayed with me since yesterday. I'm feeling a little better on both accounts - Emotionally I'm better than yesterday but it'd be best if nobody tried to hold a conversation with me. Physically I'm sore like I've done 1000 crunches. We were supposed to go to Fredricksburg today but after waking up I put a halt to those plans. We'll go tomorrow instead. Here's my Cheeky Monkey decked out in his Texas gear: Has anything good happened in the last few days? If weight loss is a good thing then yes, I'm down to 158. We bought a new lawn mower so the yard looks decent and is starting to green up. If you followed the pre-birth log this will make sense....The irritating cow next door is being shipped off to find herself a man - the reason for all her bellowing the last few weeks was due to her being in season. : )

No comments: