Saturday, June 24, 2006

I'm losing it

My hair, that is. Big chunks at a time. I can brush my hair before I get in the shower and remove a large clump from the brush. Then when I squeeze the water from my hair after a shampoo, there's some more. And after I condition, there it is again. The final squeeze before the towel hits my head leaves me another wad. I knew this was going to happen and was expecting it. Actually, I was looking forward to getting my hair thinned without having to go get my hair cut. What I didn't realize, however, was that it would keep coming out and coming out and coming out. I've been assured by every pregnancy book, mom and website that it's all completely normal and it'll stop. Eventually. The hair loss I don't mind so much. The linea negra I do. For those of you not in the know, here's a quick study for you: You have probably never noticed the pale line, called the linea alba, that runs from your belly button to the top of your pubic bone. It is usually the same color as your skin, but during pregnancy this line may darken (usually during your second trimester) and is then called a linea negra (Latin for "black line”). This darkening is caused by increases in estrogen and progesterone, which in turn step up production of the pigment melanin, a condition known as hyperpigmentation. Fair skinned women show linea negra less often than women with darker pigmentation. And some research suggests there may be a link between linea negra and insulin. An old wives' tale claims that if your linea negra runs only to your navel, you are carrying a girl; but if it goes all the way up to the xiphoid (bottom-most part of the center of your ribcage), it's a boy. There is no way to prevent or erase the linea negra. However, if it bothers you, here's what you can do:
  • Reduce pigment changes by protecting yourself from the sun and avoiding bleaching products.
  • Get enough folic acid. Folic acid deficiency may increase skin discoloration.
  • If the line bothers you, try covering it up with some concealing makeup.
Your linea negra will lighten within several months of your baby's birth, but for some women, it never completely disappears. Fortunately, my line wasn't so dark, more of a tanned version of my belly skin. And yes, mine ran all the way up to the bottom of my ribcage. But my issue is it's still there. It weirds me out because it's not super dark but it's dark enough to make me scrub it thinking it's dirt. How dirt could end up in a straight line is beyond me but I've thought it. Back to my hair. I've been contemplating a cut. Nothing drastic, nothing too crazy, but I really need some help with this mop on my head. I've considered 'fangs' as my co-worker calls them - faux bangs. I've considered getting layers put all over. It's too bad Nick Arojo doesn't make housecalls and free consultations. Instead I'll mull it over for awhile. more likely several weeks which will turn into months. There's nothing worse than a random hair that's stuck in your clothing and making you itch. Happy Saturday night. You know what I'll be doing...

1 comment:

Lora said...

if it makes you feel better, my line went away almost immediately after weaning jake. so did my giant black nipples (can I say that here? sorry mom!). however, my milk is back in full force. i don't know why or how, and maybe i should take it as a sign from god to start nursing again, but it is really annoying and making me feel even more guilty about my choice to switch to formula. i just keep telling myself i would be in a padded room in a straight jacket if i didn't stop but i still feel horrible. such is motherhood..