Tuesday, June 27, 2006
At least I tried
I gave the professional photographers a shot. I thought it was going to be a good experience but the more I tell my tale from Friday, the angrier I'm getting and certain of what I must do. I still stand by my earlier description of it being a good deal - that I'm not disputing. It was the personal experience that was lacking and not even the cheap price can bring me back.
After a 45 minute drive - 5 of those in relative silence, 15 with screaming and 25 of loud radio static - I got there right at 10. The hour was mine to do as we wanted or needed in case we might need to do a diaper change or feeding. The wife motioned me in the door with a curt Come in and pointed me directly to the table set up for diaper changes. The husband tried to greet me with a friendlier hello over his wifes directions.
Side note: the husband is a double amputee - right arm and leg; I didn't know this until meeting him. I thought from reading their website and information booklet that she was the photographer and he was the assistant.
She asked for our names but proceeded to call me "mom" throughout the rest of the session. JT was thereafter talked to in the highest pitched voice I've ever heard. Irritating to me, productive for getting his attention. So we set out to get pictures - the first group was of him on his tummy. They told me that babies love their ottoman but in the next breath I was told to stand nearby to catch him in case he should fling himself off. Hmmm.. So I back up from the ottoman and unknowingly stand in front of the big light reflector thing. "Don't stand there! Get between the panels!" Whoa. Geez, sorry lady. I moved over 2 steps and stood there like a dope with my arm outstretched but carefully stretched between the panels so I didn't screw up again. Little did I know that was just the beginning of my shortcomings in the next 20 minutes.
The next position on the ottoman was on his back. Again, I was supposed to stand real close to him but not be in any of twelve other spots. The point this time was to catch him if he rolled but stay out of his view. What? Lady, if you have kids you know that he doesn't need to see me to know I'm there, I'm like a dairy farm - the kid can smell me 20 feet away. I'm not sure what the problem was this time but I was told to move away from his head and get behind the photographer. I didn't move fast enough so when she yelled, "move!" I got a little nervous and about took the guys leg off. Literally. How embarassing would that have been? This has been the most physical photo session I've ever been a part of....
***The rest of the story comes later today***
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
sorry this sucked for you. i haven't even tried to go that route yet. i'm thinking in three or four months when we don't have to worry about the rolling.
Post a Comment