Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Picture Day Part 2

The next pose was more of a puzzle for me. And if you know me you know I like puzzles. This one? Not so much. While JT was laying there on his back, she ushered me in next to him, grabbed his little hand in hers and wrapped his fingers around it, mumbled something and then pushed my hand into his. Huh? So I let JT grab my finger and the guy started snapping pictures. Directions were flying left and right and I was starting to get nervous. This time I was allowed to be right next to the ottoman but I wasn't presenting JT's hand the right way. She barked the directions to me again which sounded a bit like Charlie Brown's teacher and when I didn't get it for the second time in a row, she sighed in disgust, looked and her husband and said, "Why doesn't anybody get this? Why is it so hard? Do you get the shots or do we need to start all over again?" I about peed my own pants when I heard this...Hello! I'm right here lady. Feel free to complain AFTER I leave, not while I'm sitting here. Well, apparently I didn't turn my hands and fingers right so we hand to do the sequence of shots again. I guess I can kiss my hand model career goodbye. Oh no, it's not over yet. Next I had to present JT's feet. If you think presenting one little hand is hard, try squeezing two squirmy feet together and keeping your fingers out of the way. Again with the stupid directions and being yelled at. I must have done better this time or else she was just giving up on me because she had to mold my hand into where she wanted it. [disclaimer: Okay, so it wasn't really yelling but it was very snotty and sarcastic. I didn't care for her tone at all. Did I say anything? No. It was only slightly irritating when it happened so I kept quiet] We finished up the naked (diaper only) shots and moved onto a basket. I propped him in there and scooted out of the way. I wasn't going to screw up again. Ha! Guess again...I moved out of the way so quickly my poor little guy tipped over sideways and bonked his head on the edge of the basket. No damage done, he laughed and I sat him up and pushed him down into the stuffing so he wouldn't move this time. Click! Click! Squeak! HEY!! and then it was time for the other container...I don't know what it was but I immediately thought, "oh, it's a manger". She added his blanket, threw in some stinky teddy bear (again, I don't know if it stunk, I'm simply being sarcastic now) and continued to squawk at him. Right. So I was feeling a little apprehensive about doing any other action shots but when she mentioned the swing I took her up on it. Only because I was feeling like I was owed something at this point. Dumb... Anyway, he did look cute and he sure mellowed out when she lifted him off the floor in that thing. Now it's not even 10:30 and I'm being handed my shoes and a clip board. I'm buckling JT into his carseat as fast as I can and she's talking about dates to come back and look at the proofs. Of course they aren't open on the weekends and their hours are the same as my work hours. I made the appointment for 2 weeks out at 10, fine, I'll miss a few more hours of work and make it up. I remembered that JT didn't have much to eat since we got up so I asked if I could nurse before I left. "Oh sure! I'll just leave these forms for you to sign and here's a pen and a business card and an appointment reminder card and a bookmark." *sigh* Granted, it was a beautiful room to nurse in. Soft comfortable couch with big pillows to put under my arms. As mean as I was feeling, I put down the blanket over the fine furnishings in case the boy felt a need to drool or spit up. I sat there and read over the pages telling me it's illegal to go to the Kodak Picture Maker and copy any prints that I order and if I do I'm liable to be fined several thousand dollars per picture. Okay, sure...here's my initials and signature. I promise I'll buy and not steal. The next form was asking permission for them to use JT in their advertising, website, etc without compensation. Had we had a friendlier session I might have said yes, but even still, when I could afford a new car, I wouldn't advertise the name of the dealer. Take it off the car and don't give me that cheap plastic license plate frame either. You aren't paying me for promoting you 24/7. If I'm impressed with what you offer, you'll get my recommendations whole-heartedly. The photo session? Not. So I'm writing them an email tonight to express my feelings over the session and explain that I'm not coming back to look at the proofs. I will ask for a refund with the understanding that I may not get it back but it doesn't hurt to ask. What's the worst they can do? Shake a rattle at me and say no?

No comments: