Monday, November 13, 2006

Could have

At 7:01 I walked out the door and got into my car, ready to get home and eat Teriyaki Chicken and see my boy and my husband. As usual I unlocked the passenger side door and swung in my pump. I locked the door and shut it, walked around the front of the car, sat down behind the wheel and put my glass of water in the cupholder. Tilting my head to the right and forward I take off my badge to work and tuck it into the pouch of my pump. As I turn the key I look around the parking lot to see who else is leaving besides me. Not a soul. But then neither am I. My car won't start. I double check to make sure I still have it in park. The lights are glowing and it dawns on me that I left the lights on all day. Damn Damn Damn! It's when something cruddy like this happens that you think about what you could have done differently. I could have taken an extra second today to make sure my lights were off when I got to work instead of beating myself up over forgetting my lunch and hurrying to get inside for a cup of coffee. I could have gone to pick up my pills at HEB during my lunch and realized my lights were on then. I could have a decent car that dings when you leave the lights on. Muttering to myself about the stupid lights I went back inside and asked around for jumper cables. Another mystery to me is why people get wide-eyed when you ask for them but they don't have them. So you don't have them. Don't stand there with your mouth hanging open, that's not going to help either. The youngest member of our department had some. Her dad had just put them in the car for her but she didn't know how to use them. I told her that wasn't a problem, I did, and would show her how to use them. She wheeled around back to my car and I showed her how to connect the cables to the right posts, etc. Another beauty of my car is that there is no hood thingeemajiggy - holder upper thing. So she and I took turns holding it up. I went to go start my car and realized hers wasn't running. So I had to get back out, she got back in her car and started it up, came back and switched spots with me again and I tried to start it. Nothing. So I had her give it a little gas and run some more before trying it again. Still nothing. A generous co-worker offered to call AAA while I considered going to AA (just kidding folks!). So now we sit waiting for them to show up.

2 comments:

Rinny said...

That completely sucks! I am so sorry. No reason beating yourself up. It does no good and the situation is still the same.
Tomorrow will be better. It has to be.
Love you!

Team Manager said...

Ugh! Best of luck. I hope it isn't more costly than a battery.