Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Chicken and Dumplings

Truth be told, I don't know the recipe. Kevin is the cook. I just pretend to know how on occasion. What I know of the chicken and dumplings is a whole chicken that takes an extra long bath in some water and spices. After it prunes up, it jumps out of the pot and sits for awhile until Kevin comes in to debone it and throw the chicken back in the water. Sort of like making chicken soup, I imagine. He throws some other stuff in, I'm guessing salt and some more spices and then sets it to boiling. The magic ingredient is the dumplings. Or shall I shall biscuits. We buy a real cheap 4-pack of HEB/Hill Country Fare biscuits for $1.25 and when the stock is a-boiling we start picking off pieces of biscuit and throw them into the stock. Kevin likes to throw them in really hard so at the end of the cooking event we have a stove covered in chicken stock. I prefer it thicker but Kevin likes it a little more soup like. It does thicken up a bit the next day, especially if you aren't greedy and leave a few of the dumplings.

2 comments:

Rinny said...

Yummy!!! One of my goals for this year was to make/bake things that I Hadn't made before because I thought it was too complicated for me. Chicken and Dumplings, Gnocchi, and anything having to do with fondant are on that list. I will keep you posted.

Team Manager said...

Thanks. I'll see what I can do.