Wednesday, October 10, 2007
Breaking from the boob is hard to do
JT's last boob was on Monday night. He woke up screaming around 1:15 and when I went in he held out his arms to be picked up. He wrapped his skinny little arms around my neck and started patting my back saying, "okay, okay, okay." Instead of sitting down in the glider I stood there while he flopped himself sideways in my arms and rocked back and forth. 5 minutes later he was ready to get back in bed. (success!)
Tuesday morning went fine since he decided to sleep in a little and then Kevin got him up while I got ready for work. He was easily distracted with grapes. When I got home last night he tried to push me over to the couch for his mom's-home-time-for-boobs-hooray! snack. It was a battle for the next 4 hours until bed time to keep his hands out of my shirt.
He didn't wake up last night which was fine. I was up, though. Swollen breastages make it hard to sleep. JT woke this morning with him hollering at me and crying and carrying on because, again, no boobs. As Kevin puts it, he carries on like he's been flayed.
JT without boobs, I suppose, is like me going without coffee. I'd be carrying on, too.
I am carrying on because my boobs are now filled with rock hard milk ducts that are begging for relief. I dare not think of or even look at a picture of JT for fear that I'll spring a leak. And I just did and I swear if I breathe deep enough my boobs are going to pop right off my chest and cover my cubicle with milk. Gross. They are hot, they are tingly, they ache and the feeling so uncomfortable that it makes me want to scream.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Okay.....this just about cured me of ever wanting to breast feed.
First of all, I am totally awed that you breastfed so long. I mean that as a compliment. I really wanted to enjoy breastfeeding but I never did. And you've had so much stress these past few months to keep up with it is just amazing to me.
Still, my kid rejected my boobs long before I was ready to wean him. Hence the months of pumping like a crazy person. So, I can't relate to JT being cut off the boob but I imagine it's gotta compare somewhat to a pacify..in which case, my advice would be to hang in there. They say it takes 3 days to get a kid into a routine and that's about how long it took Spencer to stop crying for his binky. It might have taken me longer to get over the separation :)
Finally, are you sure you should quit cold turkey? RU atleast expressing a little in the shower? I had to wean my boobs off the pump so that I didn't explode. Or worse, get infected. Also, I used a lot of heating pads which seemed to help. And walked around hugging myself so no one else hugged me. OUCH.
Good luck!
Post a Comment