Tonight was the big back to school night where we met JT's teacher. We stood outside in the 124 degree heat at 6:24pm waited with every other family waiting to enter and run to their assigned class. JT grabbed my hand and hugged my leg and whispered, "I think school is going to be a little bit scary." My heart melted a little. I told him that doing something new the first time can be scary and I bet there will be other kids that think it's scary, too. He said okay and then wondered (outloud), "why are all these people just standing here and not moving. It's hot!"
We walked inside and I lifted him up so he could find his name on one of the 4 papers hanging on the wall. I sort of got that nervous feeling in my tummy like when I tried out for the choir in college and went to look for my name on the roster. In that case, I was pretty confident that I wouldn't make it and was nervous that I would make it.
JT started to look worried and squeezed around my neck and said, "I can't see it. I can't see Ballew." I told him to look on the first paper and when the squeeze got tighter and he practically cut off my supply of oxygen I knew he had found his name. "There it is! That's my name right there!" I put him down and we rounded the corner to the kindergarten hall.
Mrs. Colunga is his teacher. Immediately I think Pina Colada and I'm not sure why and I don't even like them. Anyhoo, the super cool part is her room is Jungle themed. Monkeys, trees, giraffes, animals, etc. It's cute. There's a little reading nook. Little garbage cans on each of the tables. A big colorful rug. The alphabet all over the room. Tiny. blue. chairs.
He quickly ate the cookie she had for each kid. There are 19 kids in her class. Is that good? Average? I know there's been a population explosion in the county and they didn't post the official teacher list until this afternoon so that leads me to believe that number is on the rise. There was an abbreviated form to fill out about JT and to write down anything special about him. Kevin and I looked at each other and said, "he can read, add and subtract." That's what we wrote down.
I was overwhelmed with all the people crammed in the room. My chest tightened up a little bit and without having any more forms to fill out, I didn't know what to do so I started wandering. I brought the forms over to the teacher, didn't really know what to say or what to do so handed them to her and said, "Is there anything else you need?" Shy Jori stepped out, I stepped back and faded into the cubbies...
I didn't cry. Monday may be a different story. Tonight might be a different story.
For a treat we went out to dinner - JT's choice was....yep, Whataburger. Extra special because he got an apple pie. He made us laugh when he busted out with, "I'm trying to stay away from the sauce." He was not talking about booze. He was referring to the sauce-y type filling.
School on Monday. The thought of it makes me feel sick. I'm trying really hard not to project my worries and nervousness on him. I'm talking it up about being new and an adventure and exiting and yes, maybe a little bit scary at times but just think of all the friends you'll make and all the stuff you're going to learn and snack time! When we left the school JT said he wished he could go to school every day of the week. Let's see how long that feeling lasts!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Cool classroom! Spence has 20 kids in his class so I think that's pretty average. We have next wk off though before we start - so maybe you can prepare me??
jake has 22 but there is a helper lady. An Aide, I guess is the right word for it.
He goes back on the 12th, I'm dying. And crying. At the dumbest things. It's like being pregnant but I'm not as fat. And instead of johnson's baby commercials, I'm tearing up at the Penney's denim ads and the Crayola commercials.
Also, even before I saw your pina colada sentence, my brain sung "I like Mrs. Colunga, and being caught in the rain..."
That's why I love you.
Post a Comment