Friday, April 8, 2011

Winning

I got home the other night to read my friends Facebook post about the car seat thing that she led at her son's school.  Safety, how long, what kind, state rules, etc.  Then to read about the stupid mom riding away with her pre-school kid on her lap.  Just dumb!

Kevin had a night game and I really didn't want to go...that meant leaving at 5:15 to get to the field at 6:00 to practice for an hour before the 7 o'clock game that lasts for three hours.  Gathered up the kids, got there and dropped Kevin off and took JT and Sara around the corner to the other end of the park to the fishing pond and bigger playground.  Played for what seemed like forever and then discovered it was only 7:20.  I would have called my friend who lives nearby to bring her kids over but didn't have my phone which meant the diaper bag was also at home with drinks and snacks and diapers.  So I loaded up the kids to head back to the fields and maybe find some snacks out of Kevin's baseball bag.  Nada...

On and on the night went and it got super cold but guess who didn't have more than her green sweater?  Sara was bundled up and stayed pretty warm between the car seat cover and stroller cover.  It created a warm little space!  JT had a hoodie and ended up snuggling with a woman named Sara (his new best friend) while I walked the stroller up and down the sidewalk to keep her asleep and my blood pumping.

At 9:55 I told Kevin I was heading to the car to feed Sara (now screaming her head off) and JT sat with his friend.  I get to the car and all the park lights go off at exactly 10:00.  It's not easy breastfeeding in the car and so between the screaming and rearranging, finally got her fed enough to make it home but screamed while I tried to get her fastened into her car seat.  Arching the back, flailing arms - the whole nine yards.  Finally got her in and now JT was hungry and I was starving as we hadn't eaten since 12:30.  We stopped at the gas station to begin our night of Parental Accomplishments - dinner consisted of Bug Juice and a Peanut Bar for JT, Doritos and Cashews and Mountain Dew for Kevin and I.  JT fell asleep 5 minutes later and we consumed tons of empty calories. 

We get home and I said, I'll get the little one, you get the big one.  Kevin carried JT in and put him to bed in his clothes and I open the door to unlatch the seat belt around Sara's car seat only to discover that I NEVER PUT THE SEAT BELT ON HER SEAT!  So I beat myself up about it and think about all the horrible things that would have happened if something had happened.  Thank God nothing did, but you know.....

The next morning I'm looking for the car keys and can't find them anywhere.  I decide to see if the car seat is in the other car and as I open the door, there are the keys dangling from the lock.

WINNING!

In better news, I took JT up to the school and got him registered for kindergarten.  Sounds like he'll start on 8/22 although JT wants to go right this very second.  We're going to have to learn new schedules as school starts at 7:40 and JT doesn't usually doesn't get up until 8:00.  This means early bedtime and early rising.  Lord have mercy!

1 comment:

Lora said...

I just left the giantest comment explaining how I did the same thing once, and to top it off, when I lifted the carseat out of the base, Jake tumbled to the car floor.

Oops!

It happens to all of us, on accident.